Rear Duplex Bars on Steinways: was Baldwin Accujust...

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Sun, 11 May 2003 00:38:35 -0400

At 8:00 PM -0600 5/10/03, Roger Jolly wrote:
>No they don't get that right at all.  Cool the plate too fast and
>you get all kinds of twist and bumps.  <G> The pattern may be right,
>but all kinds of strange things happen if you do not watch the
>process carefully.
>regards Roger.

Ric gets it completely, Roger. Maybe the quality of plate castings
are a matter which a diligent factory should review if it gets too
bad. Baldwin didn't. If we correct bad plate lay-out, are we
redesigning the plate, or simply finishing Kelly's or Steinway's
work? It's moot. We're simply making a better piano. And if the
pianos that come out of shop sound better than others, then we are
rewarded.

Regards, from the hotel bar.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"No one builds the *perfect* piano, you can only remove the obstacles
to that perfection during the building."
     ...........LaRoy Edwards, Yamaha International Corp