Wurzen felt

Sun, 11 May 2003 11:01:03 -0700

Tone weight is a good term and I think there is real validity to this
concern.  I have had an experience on the other end fo the spectrum.  I
have a customer with a Hamburg Steinway A (newer one).  She wanted the
action heavier so a previous technician put clips on the shanks.  Though
she liked the weight, the tone became very unpleasant to her and others who
heard the piano.  I suggested we try removing the clips (she had not made
the connection), fortunately an easy thing to do.  The tone that she had
loved about the piano returned.  A match of hammer weight to the soundboard
assembly (and the relative density of the hammer, perhaps), is clearly
important.  Heavier hammers do not always sound better, as I have often
heard stated here.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net