hammer mass (was Wurzen felt)

Stephen Birkett sbirkett@real.uwaterloo.ca
Mon, 12 May 2003 12:18:37 -0400

David Love scripsit:
>  I have had an experience on the other end fo the spectrum.  I
>have a customer with a Hamburg Steinway A (newer one).  She wanted the
>action heavier so a previous technician put clips on the shanks.  Though
>she liked the weight, the tone became very unpleasant to her and others who
>heard the piano.  I suggested we try removing the clips (she had not made
>the connection), fortunately an easy thing to do.  The tone that she had
>loved about the piano returned.  A match of hammer weight to the soundboard
>assembly (and the relative density of the hammer, perhaps), is clearly
>important.  Heavier hammers do not always sound better, as I have often
>heard stated here.

An interesting experiment, for sure, but putting clips on the shanks
is not the same thing as simply "increasing hammer mass". The clips
will certainly affect the resonsant frequencies of the shanks which
may well have been a significant contributor to the tonal change. We
don't yet have general relationships which connect shank flexibility
to tone, but there's plenty of anecdotal evidence about this, and
shank resonances are a proposed mechanism.

How to increase mass without altering shank resonance frequencies?
You can't because *any* change in mass distribution of the
hammer/shank system will influence these. Even adding or removing
mass to (from) the hammer core may influence tone by altering the
strike mass/string relationship, or by altering the shank/hammer
resonances, or both. These are different phenomena. Unfortunately the
nature of piano action mechanism makes it impossible to adjust
independently only the strike mass/string mass relationship [which is
what will be generally understood by "adjust the hammer mass"].

Ah...the complexities of our difficult friend the pianoforte.

Stephen
--
Dr Stephen Birkett
Associate Professor