Tuning pin tightners

Nichols nicho@zianet.com
Mon, 12 May 2003 08:24:12 -0600

At 11:49 PM 5/12/2003 +1000, you wrote:
>After being applied to a plank, what is the condition of the wood. Is it
>going to be able to be repinned or plugged at a latter stage, or is this
>application going to destroy the wrest plank so that it has to be replaced.

Kerry,
    My Dad started me with Garfields 30 years ago. "Destroyed" is not a
term that applies in any sense. There is actually very little penetration,
except on the top laminate and directly next to the pin. Plugging can
happen quite successfully afterward, if needed. Oversize pins can be used,
also. If anything, in my dry climate, it makes the block (plank) MORE
amenable to further repairs, if needed. There have been low-budget pianos
that we doped 20 years ago that are still holding, and others that accepted
a second treatment with good results. I'm with Ric on this one... there are
goops that don't work well, and may in fact cause problems in the future,
but not Garfields. Not when correctly applied. As far as the plank needing
to be replaced..... well..... so what? If it works, you won't have to.....
if it doesn't..... you would have had to replace it anyway! 95% of the
time, I achieve 100% (230pins) success. The rest of the time, there may be
up to 10 or 20 pins that need replacement with oversized pins after the
treatment. Still more economical than replacement. A thinned-down version
can be used to "even-up" a block that has jumpy and slippy pins, also.
         Procedurally, I use Garfields cut 50% with denatured alcohol. I
use a standard hypo oiler, full, and make two or three passes over the
entire block, with repeats in the low tenor and bass. I leave uprights on
their back for at least 24 hours, and don't tune for two weeks.
         Since CA stinks to high heaven, and doesn't work real well when
the ambient RH is under 20%, I much prefer Garfields.

>The only time I would consider using any of these applications is when the
>piano is not worth doing anything to it, and the customer has been given the
>complete picture.

Uh....Der.

>Kerry Cooper
>Australia

Regards,
Guy Nichols, RPT
Ft. Stinkin' Desert

ONCE AGAIN..... survivors of my classes in Dallas will leave the room with
a little treat. Be in it, or be spinet. (Be there, or be square)