Rear Duplex Bars on Steinways:

Mon, 12 May 2003 20:16:18 -0700

John:

Perhaps I don't know what you're doing in 5 minutes to resolve the problem.
My impression was that you were saying that you mitigated the rough
transition from tenor to bass with voicing techniques.  Something that we
all have to face from time to time.  I'm not sure what you mean by:

"Covering up a problem? My word, it sounds like you think I am sort of
piano hack! If a few strokes with the voicing needle is a cover up for
poor scaling then tuning is a cover up for loose tuning pins."

My experience is that a point of refinement can be achieved in this section
where the transition can be made very smooth with scaling changes,
sometimes small changes: the addition of wound strings in the first part of
the tenor, or increases in diameter that smooth out the overall tension
through the section going into the bass.  A good technician can still tell
the difference, I suppose, but the abrupt changes can be minimized.
Rescaling doesn't always mean adding bridges and the time and money spent
to examine the scaling is minimal, in my experience.

> Well I think you are misreading me. I would never say that "there was no
> reason that Steinway belly designs and/or scaling should be modified".
> No mater what I do I always end up modifying them. You just can't stop
> that since every piece of wood, felt, metal etc. is different. Sometimes
> I make changes to improve the durability of the piano or to customize it
> to fit a client. But everything I do is aimed at restoring the vitality
> of piano so it can be put back into service making music. I am
> resurrecting the piano not using its carcass as raw material for a
> creation of my own.

Then the issue is one of degree?  If so, where would you draw the line.

>Wouldn't it be easier and better to just start from scratch and build your
design without the
> limitations of working on top of someone else's work? Even Rembrandt
> started on a new canvas. If one is really interested in making a new
> piano THEN ONE SHOULD DO JUST THAT. I don't care what the "re-engineers"
> do with the average sort of piano out there but I hope there is some way
> to discourage them from using this valuable resource as raw material for
> their creations. Someone may actually what a Steinway someday. Gasp!

I don't think it would be easier or cheaper.  If the bones are
fundamentally good then a new face may be all you need for resurrection.
But sometimes a little tweaking of the bones doesn't hurt.  It might just
help keep the face firmer longer and enhance the overall aesthetic.  It's a
judgement call made by the artist and architect.  Done with good intention,
knowledge, good taste, and skill I don't see anything wrong with it.  There
are bad jobs which adhere to the original design too.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net