Tuning Walk Out

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@attbi.com
Tue, 13 May 2003 00:01:55 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of PatchWick@aol.com
Sent: Monday, May 12, 2003 9:59 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Tuning Walk Out

Just had to relate this story when I read that this piano was in Fla.:
Many years ago I visited a new customer because she was unhappy with the
tuner that sold her a "rebuilt" piano. When I saw the thing I could
understand her concern. Much of the work that he claimed to have done he
obviously hadn't, and what he actually had done had damaged the piano.
The description of this situation sounds much like that piano, including
the split pin block from lack of support while driving the pins. After I
explained all the problems, I recommended that the customer get him to
"buy" the piano back, which she did. She has since gotten a different
grand and is still a good customer to this day.

The part that makes me write this: He left my area to move to
Florida.....

You don't suppose....

will

            Wait just a minute here---- Our guy in Mass. Moved to Fla.
ten years ago.

Typical "rebuild "as follows---: S&S old A in a church. Restrung in the
sanctuary without even cleaning the board and bridges, Huge tuning pins
(Of course nickel plated for that extra nice touch) and loose soon
after, Coils all over the place.

            New hammers on old verdigris shanks, with NO tail work!
Great backcheck to tail relationship there!

 Whippens filthy, backchecks worn through, Key bushings essentially
gone. Lyre falling apart caked with old Graphite grease.

            This guy Bill W*****  claimed to have "Tuned for the Boston
Symphony"

            To this day new clients will say,

            "We had Mr.W. he tuned for the Symphony"

            I think this guy had his name legally changed to----" Bill
W***** I tuned for the Symphony"

            One of my very good teacher clients stung by this "Tech"
calls him -Bill Wrong-

Tom Driscoll RPT