stickers

Classic Touch Ent classictouchent@comcast.net
Tue, 13 May 2003 08:50:10 -0400

All,

Is the real issue stickers? or is it agreeing that significant
departure (especially those not easily reversible) from original design
and /or material be (permanently) documented so that future owners can
determine the desirability of these features to their satisfaction?
If not stickers, I'm sure an appropriate solution can easily be found
by individuals as creative as those submitting contributions to these
pages....

I know I would appreciate having some sort of documentation  (perhaps
something like carfax) that would provide specific information
regarding 'refurbishing', 'rebuilding', and 'restoration' ( the
meanings of  these terms have become so blurred through misuse
and utter lack of documentation as to be rendered near meaningless ) .
Items could include stringing (type and manufacturer), soundboard
(repaired, replaced, rib/compression crowned, original ribs/bridges
design or altered), hammers/shanks/flanges, whippens, keys,
legs/lyre, finish, etc.. Name of technician(s) and date of repairs and
alterations and of course Manufacturer & serial number.

This has the potential to elevate the reputation and integrity of the
craft and industry as a whole.

I'm going to go duck under the piano now in anticipation of the
stampede of support for my suggestion.

Best, Rich Olmsted