stickers

Mike Kurta mkurta@adelphia.net
Tue, 13 May 2003 08:59:10 -0400

    Rich,
    I'm afraid you will never see the kind of standardized terms you =
seek.  Speaking as a former auto mechanic and shop owner, our industry =
has wrestled with the same problem for many, many years.  We are still =
no closer to clearing up the waters regarding rebuilding, restoring, =
reconditioning, refurbishing, etc, etc.  Things have stayed blurred for =
so long, that it is now impossible to give the proper meaning to these =
terms.  I guess the real reason is that there are those who foster =
confusion for their owns ends, who will take the lead in defining,  and =
the public in general doesn't really care much.  Inertia.....
    Mike Kurta
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Classic Touch Ent=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 2003 8:50 AM
  Subject: Re: stickers

  All,

  Is the real issue stickers? or is it agreeing that significant =
departure (especially those not easily reversible) from original design =
and /or material be (permanently) documented so that future owners can =
determine the desirability of these features to their satisfaction?
  If not stickers, I'm sure an appropriate solution can easily be found =
by individuals as creative as those submitting contributions to these =
pages....

  I know I would appreciate having some sort of documentation (perhaps =
something like carfax) that would provide specific information regarding =
'refurbishing', 'rebuilding', and 'restoration' ( the meanings of these =
terms have become so blurred through misuse
  and utter lack of documentation as to be rendered near meaningless ) . =
Items could include stringing (type and manufacturer), soundboard
  (repaired, replaced, rib/compression crowned, original ribs/bridges =
design or altered), hammers/shanks/flanges, whippens, keys,
  legs/lyre, finish, etc.. Name of technician(s) and date of repairs and =
alterations and of course Manufacturer & serial number.=20

  This has the potential to elevate the reputation and integrity of the =
craft and industry as a whole.

  I'm going to go duck under the piano now in anticipation of the =
stampede of support for my suggestion.

  Best, Rich Olmsted