attached pictures.

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Fri, 16 May 2003 15:22:10

Hi Del,

I'm most gratified to hear that plate failure and age are not really
related (if I understand what you are saying).

Unfortunately the instrument "lives" about 40 miles out of town--so it is
not likely that I will see it again. I can tell you the "strut" is about
one inch in depth and about one inch in width. It is at about f5 in the
scale (I did not take notes) It had failed to the point where it was
rubbing on the whippen and the dampher lever. Someone in the past noticed
this and "carved away" the wood to make some clearance.

The piano I agree could be repaired--but would also need a total rebuild of
the action and of course restringing. It's an institutional piano with no
sentimental value. Unfortunately it will like as not be replaced with a
keyboard.