Keytop trimming jig

dkoger dkoger@ameritech.net
Mon, 19 May 2003 16:34:58 -0400

I was recently preparing to replace a set of keytops when I ran across a key
trimming jig on the Mother Goose Tools web site (www.mothergoosetools.com).
The site said to contact Joe Goss if you were interested in making your own
jig, so I contacted Joe and he was kind enough to ship me his jig to use as
a pattern.  I made my own copy of the jig and thought I would share my
experiences in making and using it in case anybody else is interested.

The jig uses a compound power miter saw to trim both the top and end of the
key.  Actually, a non-compound saw should work as long as it has a way to
fine tune the tilt to exactly 90 degrees.  Joe apparently has a sliding type
saw whereas mine does not slide, as a result I had to change the design so
that the key is positioned further away from the saw fence.  This also
required me to build the jig in two pieces, one for the top of the key and
another for the end.  Both fixtures can be mounted on a single base if you
have a sliding saw.  Since I only had the 30 tooth blade that came with the
saw, a woodworker friend suggested I buy a Dewalt 96 tooth woodworking
blade.  What a difference, the keytops were almost as smooth as glass after
they were cut.

I made the wood parts of the jig out of Melamine shelf board which is
particle board covered with plastic on both sides. Its very flat and
inexpensive, and the jig can be secured to the saw with a few dabs from a
hot glue gun between the saw bed and the jig base near the saw fence.  To
remove the jig when done, just lift up on the base and pop it free.

The actual cutting of the keytops goes very fast, but you should initially
spend a little time in adjusting the jig.  I cut up some scrap wood into the
shape of a key and practiced cutting until I got the jig and saw adjusted
properly.  This is very important as you could quickly do a lot of damage
otherwise.

I highly recommend this jig as it is quick and inexpensive (except for that
saw blade I bought) to make, does a whole set of keys very quickly, and
gives really excellent results.  I'm sure Joe would be glad to help if
anybody is interested.

Dean Koger