piano appraisal

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 19 May 2003 20:39:36 -0400

Greg.

The short answer: NO.

The longer answer:

I have four old uprights in my shop at this time. I own them all. Two are Steinways and two are Mason & Hamlins. All are from 1893 to 1914. I bought one of the Mason & Hamlins for $600 - it actually plays fairly well, has good ivories and the case veneers are close to perfect. One of the Steinways I paid $500 for and it is worn out, but was recently refinished in ebony and a good rub-out will make the finish very nice. The other M&H and Steinway were worn out and I got for free. The previous owner even paid for delivery for the M&H.

I've given away several other old uprights that were given to me. In fact, that reminds me, want a fancy rosewood case Blassius & Sons for a rebuilding project free??????

You stated in your last post:

"This piano is in poor shape with a couple missing pieces of ivory and a few broken keys."

So being that this is neither a Steinway or a Mason & Hamlin, and it sounds worn out, and unless this pitch change thing might actually be worth something (which I kinda doubt - but that is just a guess), I strongly suspect the piano is worth something less than nothing - i.e. it will likely cost her to dispose of it.

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----
From: "Greg Newell" <gnewell@ameritech.net>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>; <MPT@philbondi.com>
Sent: Monday, May 19, 2003 2:48 PM
Subject: re:piano appraisal

Greetings once again list members,
         Thank you to those of you who responded to my original email. I
appreciate the advise that you have given but at this point my query is
whether this is likely to be worth anything at all. Assuming that it is in
fact a "changeable pitch piano and assuming that it is in fact an ornate
case and given the manufacture (Vough) and the serial number (3509) is it
likely to be worth anything for this customer to sell? Further, is there a
range in price from top quality to practically dead that one could place on
such an instrument? It seems to me that without any inkling at all of it's
possible value I cannot make any kind of appraisal or evaluation that I
would be comfortable charging for. In absence of any dollar value placed on
this piano in any condition can anyone shed some light on where I could
look for more information. Thanks!

Greg

Greg Newell
Greg's piano Forté