Lost My Head

Wed, 21 May 2003 11:30:10 -0500

Ron,

At 10:26 5/21/2003 -0500, you wrote:

>>         1) This is just a simple system with a threaded shaft holding
>> the prop
>>rail, one nut under it and the round prop nut above it. How can I keep that
>>lower nut from moving, short of gluing it to the screw?
>
>Replace it with a leather nut.

I wouldn't.  I deal with a LOT of leather nuts in the (5) tracker action
pipe organs I take care of here.  Leather nuts move as much or more than
metal. Add to that the fact that they will strip immediately when
over-tightened.

Take a pair of diagonal cutters/pliers (dikes) and gall the threads (below
the lower nut, of course) high enough that the nut _can't_ move down enough
to hit the keys.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician
Vox-(563)-387-1204 // Fax (563)-387-1076

- People never grow up, they just learn how to act in public. -Bryan White