Thar She Blows!

Paul Chick (EarthLink) tune4@earthlink.net
Fri, 23 May 2003 08:04:44 -0500

    Bob
    How does back checking figure into your method?
     =20
    Paul C

  Paul,=20
  Checking does hold the hammer forward so that the jack can get back =
under at speed. The angle of the butt leather is also more "open" with =
the hammer forward, making it even easier. However, often with slow key =
release, the jack often drags on the back of the butt, and the hammer =
returns to rest position before the jack gets back under. In this case, =
with the hammer fully back, one wants only enough lost motion to let the =
top of the jack slip along the leather (and, I might add, the little =
stop felt should allow it under only so far as necessary to fully engage =
the butt upon the next keystroke.

  I hope that's what you meant by your question. If not, I'll try again.
  Bob D=20

  Thanks, Bob.  I was working on a couple of uprights and followed your =
description of the jack to hammer butt angle.  Works out very nicely, =
and quicker than my "try this and see" method.

  Paul C