Octave partials

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Thu, 29 May 2003 05:19:34 -0600

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: David West=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 2003 7:51 PM
  Subject: Octave partials

  Hi List,
  I am currently a student of the trade, and enjoy reading the =
information
  and debates posted on this forum!!
  I have a question regarding Octave Partials, and will try to keep this
  short
  I know that in a 4:2 octave, you tune the 4th partial of the lower =
note
  to the 2nd partial of the upper note as well as with a 6:3 octave,=20

  No, in the 6:3 octave, you're tuning the 6th partial of the lower note =
to be beatless with the 3rd partial of the upper note, which makes a =
wider octave than the 4:2.   =20

  and so on.  So my question is, for example when tuning an F octave =
what is
  the distinction between 4:2, and say a 6:3 octave tuning?

  It doesn't matter if it's an "F octave" or any other octave; the 6:3 =
will be wider than the 4:2.

  I have searched the archives, and reviewed my potter course manual, =
and
  still a little confused!  I plan on purchasing RCT in the next couple =
of
  days,=20

      I would listen by ear (instead of looking by eye) for the partials =
in the different kinds of octaves first, and learn the various checks =
(single octave, double octave, 3rd vs. 10th, 3rd vs. 17th, 10th vs. =
17th, octave plus a fifth, minor 3rd vs. Major 6th, etc.) before jumping =
to that enticing and fun visual display that might become a crutch.  =
Pianos have to sound good to the ear regardless of what some electronic =
display shows.  Don't get me wrong -- I use an electronic device myself =
now, but I also tuned by ear for 20 years.   =20
                                      --David Nereson, RPT, Denver

  for my dell axim to assist in the progress of my aural tuning.
  Sorry to post such a basic question, and hope no one gets to
  perturbed!!!

  Thanks in advance!!
  David West
  Roscoe , IL.