No-show fees?

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Thu, 29 May 2003 14:41:04 -0500

>My question is this:  since it is a warranty tuning paid for by the store,
>should I bill the store as though I performed the service, thus voiding
>her free tuning, or should I send her the bill for the no-show fee(roughly
>the same price)?

In my experience, no-shows are far more likely with dealer tunings then
with retail. Folks just tend to be least considerate when they have a
freebie coming. They act like it doesn't count, and no one is out anything
until the tuning is actually done - if you can catch them. This isn't the
dealer's fault, and he shouldn't be responsible for the bill, unless he's
willing (as a good will gesture) to pick up the service call charge that
otherwise rightly goes to the perpetrator of the offense. The customer
really needs to be told at the time the appointment is made that the
technician isn't on salary, that his income depends on work being done, and
that a no-show costs him income, and will be charged accordingly. Now if
anyone has an idea how that can be done inoffensively and gracefully in
twenty five words or less over the phone, I'd love to hear it.

Ron N