Seiler whine/frontscale noise

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Fri, 30 May 2003 01:49:22 EDT

Fellow whine-haters(wine lovers?),

I tuned a Seiler 180 grand this evening, and other than being all over the
map tuning wise(it only needs to be tuned once every 3 years, said the dealer),
it should be a great piano.  The action functions superbly, the whole package
is put together quite nicely.  The problem is that it's one of the noisiest
pianos I've ever heard.

Some notes produce nasty rattle type vibrations that sound like loose ribs, a
chasm in the soundboard, or a large ballbearing rolling around in there.  The
worst noises are banshee-like wines that are produced by the string-length
between the capo bar and the bar in front of the tuning pins.  If I could get
away with putting some string braid in there, I would.

I know this type of noise has been the subject of much discussion lately.  I
haven't loosened the strings and tried to move the bars(don't even know if I
can move them).  Time for experimentation was limited due to the necessity of a
pitch raise.  I seem to recall someone talking about filing the bottom of the
capo bar to remove irregularities that might cause evil spirits to rise from
the instrument.  Any recommendations?

As a footnote, I thought I'd mention how sad it is that this potentially
excellent piano has ended up with someone who couldn't tell it was out of tune,
even though the temperament octave+ ranged from -25 cents to plus 6 cents.
Maybe we're all in the wrong business.

Dave Stahl