In-Home Vertical Damper Replacement

Wed, 19 Nov 2003 13:16:47 -0600

At 13:45 11/19/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello listees,
>
>I am scheduled to install a set of new damper felts on a 1960s Baldwin
>studio. I've done this work in my shop before, but am having nightmares of
>hot glue pots knocked over on carpet, drips of hide glue running down
>strings, etc., etc.
>
>What is the best systematic way of doing this in a home. This 38 year-old
>Hamilton looks like it came off the Cincinnati assembly line two days ago
>- much like the rest of her spotless living room. Neatness is paramount!
>In fact, I'm not so sure now that it even matters if the felts stay on - I
>just gotta keep it neat!!!
>
>I have the action in my shop now and will be going back to her home to
>install the felts.
>
>Having done this job in my shop before, I hadn't really given it much
>thought. But now that I am faced with Her, Her piano and Her living room -
>and She will be peering right over my shoulder for the whole job - I'm
>gettin' the Willies! I'm much more nervous thinking of this job that I was
>building and installing my first soundboard!
>
>Thanks.
>
>Terry Farrell

Terry,

If the action is in your shop _NOW_,    why are you going to do the dampers
in the home???

Am I missing something, here?
I would think that you should glue the dampers on the heads _now_ and
all(?) you have to do in the home is regulate.

Conrad Hoffsommer
from close enough to the middle of nowhere to see it over the fence.