RC vs CC again

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Tue, 30 Sep 2003 21:10:34 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

>Ron,
>
>  Why would you categorize a panel that has not been severely dried, and
> to which crowned ribs are attached, as primarily panel supported?

It depends on the dimensions and crown of the ribs...
If you are going to have crown remaining under
bearing load, it has to come from either the ribs, panel expansion, or
both. If the math says the ribs aren't doing it, it pretty much has to be
coming from the panel.

For instance, Yamahas are rib crowned, but an analysis of the bearing load
the ribs are carrying will show that the ribs can't support the load
imposed on them without the panel compression carrying a large percentage
of the load. Bending force in the panel cross grain is NEVER significant to
crown to my knowledge.  That's why I make the distinction between rib
crowned, and rib crowned and supported.

Ron N

So, by panel expansion, or panel support, you mean that the panel is carrying load along the grain?  Or in other words, is distributing the load out to other ribs?

Phil Ford