agraffe reaming

Crashvalve@aol.com Crashvalve@aol.com
Tue, 30 Sep 2003 23:40:38 EDT

For making the agraffe hole wall cylindrical (meaning how it was before=20
string wear) I use several "D" bit reamers approx 1.5 inch long in whatever=20=
size or=20
two sizes is next larger than the original agraffe hole. (too lazy to go and=
=20
mike them) I get these as drill rod, and grind a 20 or so degree point on th=
e=20
end. The sharp edge where the angle meets the cylindrical edge of the=20
reamer/drill rod is what does the cutting. The end result is a neatly re-siz=
ed hole=20
with better geometry. You could use lubricant to cut but I don't, and hand=20
guiding seems to allow the bit to align itself.
BY the way, any machinist coud easily make one or two agraffes in odd sizes=20
like M&H using a thread die on free-cut brass rod in the lathe, and mill=20
shoulders when done. $45 seems a little pricey=20