compression ridges and hide glue/Ron N.

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Tue, 30 Sep 2003 22:58:35 -0500

>     But hide glue DOES creep, as I have seen it do in
>many pianos with "veneer creep" ( under much less
>stress than board/rib glue lines!!! ),

I've seen it fail dry, and let go and "creep" when the veneer was soaked
through, but I don't think I've seen anything like cold creep in hide glue
anywhere.

>and on bellows.
>Visit your local piano hoarder and pull the panels on
>some old "Standard" players. I believe that you will
>see where the cloth on the reservoirs has sloooowly
>moved on the wood, under the force of the equalizer
>spring.

I've done a lot of players, and I've seen a lot of outer cloth layers slide
over the inner layer as the rubber in between flowed, but I've never seen
the hide glue holding the inner layer to the bellows leaf creep. Again,
I've seen it fail when soaked, and I've seen some hobbyist perpetrated
disasters, but never hide glue cold creep.

>       So it seems to me that a rib impervious to
>longitudinal hygroscopic deformation, combined with an
>utterly waterproof glue line at the rib/board
>interface could significantly reduce compression
>ridges and board failure.
>      Thump

How?

Ron N