no charge to good steady customers

Tue, 07 Oct 2003 06:27:32 -0500

Rookebondi,

At 07:00 10/7/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>I'm not looking for a pat on the back here..just curious if this is common
>practice amungst my peers..or do you truly feel I am not being fair to the
>tech. community.

'Tis a two edged sword, methinks.  If the customer expects it from now on -
bad. If the customer now has that warm fuzzy feeling that the piano tech is
really looking out for the best interests of the instrument, and not just a
quick and easy buck - good.

>curious this morning,

I think that the key phrase in your description is "very faithful every 6
months residential customer".  What you did comes under the "good will"
part of customer relationships.

What I have done in similar circumstances is to do some regulation, voicing
or even just tightening all the screws you can find (you can _always_ find
some of that to do, right?) and only charge for a minimal service
call.  Win, win, win situation...
-You didn't do that "unnecessary" tuning.
-The instrument is better than you found it.
-The customer doesn't feel "guilty" about not paying you for your time.

just my 2¢

conrad

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician
Vox-(563)-387-1204 // Fax (563)-387-1076

- Education is what you get from reading the small print. Experience is
what you get from not reading it.