The Piano Tuner - by Daniel Mason

Michael Spalding spalding48@earthlink.net
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 07:18:55 -0500

MIchael,

I had missed that reference to contemporary piano tuners when I read it last year - thanks for pointing it out.  David and Ben, good work!  I especially enjoyed Edgar's choice of people to invite to his going-away party, and his back-handed recommendation of his substitute tuner during his absence!

Mike

----- Original Message -----
From: Michael Gamble
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Sent: 10/15/2003 8:32:08 AM
Subject: The Piano Tuner - by Daniel Mason

Hello all
I have just finished reading this book (see www.picador.com) . Set in Burma around the 1870s about the Anglo/Burmese wars and the Shan Uprising. Also about an Erard Grand and one Edgar Drake, piano tuner extraordinaire. When I got to the end in the acknowledgements I found: "Two piano tuners helped to train Edgar Drake: David Skolnik and Ben Treuhaft. Since Edgar Drake is a fictitious character does the same apply to David and Ben?  I wonder!  Good book, though, and worth reading.
Michael G (UK)