Steinway D key levelling (Hamburg model)

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sun, 19 Oct 2003 14:09:49 -0500

>The issue of "how much back weight" is interesting.  It's similar to the
>question of how much weight to use when measuring key dip.  Can there really
>be that much more force if the weight is hung behind the backcheck rather
>than in front of it?  Surely it's proportional to the distance of the weight
>to the balance rail --

And I suspect the difference in key height is more the result of
compression of the back rail felt, than of the center rail, especially
given the half ton of lead commonly found in the front half of the keys.
Minor changes in weight placement on the back side won't affect balance
rail pressure nearly as much as it will the partially counterbalanced back
rail pressure.

>  The true solution would be to have a weight that fits
>onto the capstan and has the same  weight as the top action down weight.
>Unfortunately, no one makes such a thing and I don't have the time, nor
>inclination to do it.<G> I'll just suffer along with the ones I have.
>Best Regards,
>Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)

The (old) weights I have with the tacks cast into them are about 87g each,
and let you position them somewhere between the capstan and backcheck. They
let you remove and replace keys easily without falling off too, which is
nice. They also leave numerous holes in both the keys and your fingers,
which is somewhat less nice. Another of life's little tradeoffs.

Ron N