Steinway D key levelling (Hamburg model)

Nichols nicho@zianet.com
Sun, 19 Oct 2003 15:53:09 -0600

At 02:09 PM 10/19/2003 -0500, you wrote:

>The (old) weights I have with the tacks cast into them are about 87g each,
>and let you position them somewhere between the capstan and backcheck.
>They let you remove and replace keys easily without falling off too, which
>is nice. They also leave numerous holes in both the keys and your fingers,
>which is somewhat less nice. Another of life's little tradeoffs.
>
>Ron N

I forget where I learned it, but the fender washers on allthread trick
seems to work pretty good for me. Relatively consistent, easy to lift the
keys, etc., etc. Using 3/8 allthread, with washers that have a 5/8 hole,
the "travel" is enough to lift a key without removing the weight. Placed
between the capstan and the backcheck. About 4 washers per note. Haven't
weighed 'em, don't care. Not cheap, though, nowadays. The dern washers add
up when you get enough to make a 20" section!

Later,
Guy