Steingraeber by candle light......

antares@euronet.nl antares@euronet.nl
Thu, 23 Oct 2003 17:27:12 +0200

On woensdag, okt 22, 2003, at 22:39 Europe/Amsterdam, Richard Brekne
wrote:

> Just as an afterthought...
>
> The piano we heard was just about the size of a Steinway B.... and
> personally I thought it compared very well to most of the B's I've
> heard. The Steingręber 168 that we had a chance to play and check out
> is
> roughly the size of a Steinway M. The M is not my favourite small grand
> personally and I did enjoy the Steingręber for what this size usually
> has to offer.

The M is not my favorite either. Luckily I don't see very many of those.

My thoughts about Steingraeber grands is that they remind me of a
combination of several makers :
There is a bit of Seiler, Feurich, Pfeiffer, Schimmel, Steinway (the
treble) and old Schiedmayer. And very maybe some Bechstein taste too.
A very German instrument.
I think that indeed Udo Steingraeber/Schmidt is successful in making
smaller grands and.....they use WURZEN, which makes all the difference.

André Oorebeek