Fw: Baldwin pre-cut string

Crashvalve@aol.com Crashvalve@aol.com
Sat, 25 Oct 2003 22:24:32 EDT

In a message dated 10/25/03 7:27:27 PM, pianobuilders@olynet.com writes:

>=20
> Yes. This I have tried. On C-28 in an S&S B. I put a kink in the wire by=20
> bending it to 45=BA prior to stringing. Even though the kink straightened=20=
out so=20
> it was barely visible a distinct and annoying "wow" could be heard. The=20
> character of the wow can be varied by where the kink is placed within the=20=
speaking=20
> length.
>=20
>  =A0
>=20
>=20

Now this IS scary to contemplate eyeball-small irregularities showing up wit=
h=20
discernable tone signatures. I admit to great ignorance on the true basics o=
f=20
"false" beats in strings: Some technicians hold as true that the combination=
=20
of short string length in relation to an over-large diameter (read short-sho=
rt=20
grands) causes the string to subdivide unevenly giving poor results ? Can=20
this mechanism be akin to the "wow"? Really the only way to tell is through=20
experiment. BTW I toured a wire-drawing mill in Michigan last year and the m=
ost=20
striking thing was the large amount of heat-treatment tooling, assaying=20
laboratory, and measuring equipment, which brought home how radical the phys=
ical change=20
was in the wire as the draw progressed, and the difficulty of holding even a=
=20
two or three ten-thousandth tolerance over many miles of wire. One elegant=20
thing they taught me was to use a tenth-reading instrument (I like a dial sn=
ap=20
indicator) that you pre-set to a master wire. Makes for less reading difficu=
lty=20
since the "feel" ratio is so striking it's obvious when you jump a size !
Glenn C.