Piano Moving

Peter Burns peter-burns.pianotuner@tesco.net
Fri, 31 Oct 2003 18:06:09 -0000

Dear List
This is a real eye opener for me because personally I cannot believe =
that anyone would even consider removing grand legs with the lyre still =
attached.  Having spent all my working life moving pianos, here's how we =
do it:  Fix the lid prop down with small piece of masking tape or =
white-tac (depending on the finish)  to prevent it swinging during =
transit, and lock up the lid.  Cover the piano up well, either with =
remover's covers or padded piano jacket.  Fit the skid onto the long =
side and ratchet up.  We use a car jack fixed to a stand these days, so =
that goes under the left cheek block. Jack left side up and remove lyre. =
 Remove left leg and drop down onto the skid. Take off the remaining two =
legs, and you're away!  I would concede that using the jacking method =
means you don't have to take the lyre off first, because the piano is =
supported well.  But if I was supporting the piano only by hand, the =
lyre would be nowhere in sight.  Mind yer toes now........

Peter J Burns
Pianoforte Tuner & Technician
peter-burns.pianotuner@tesco.net