My old way of removing keybushings

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Tue, 30 Nov 2004 23:26:15 -0600

>When you say the weight was missing...what's that?

The weight that sits on top of the vent nipple of a pressure cooker acts as
a pressure regulator and pop-off. No weight, no pressure build up. The
steam just blows out of the nipple.

>Couldn't you attach some sort of hose to the nipple to distribute the
>steam directly by hand to a set of clamped keys?

You could, and I have. The longer the hose run, the hotter the hose gets,
and the colder the steam is at the end. I've done the soak and iron with a
felt strip overlay, and it works fine when it works fine. When it doesn't,
it fails miserably. I find a quick pre-soak and steaming, even though it
involves picking each and every key up and positioning the appropriate
parts over the steam vent to be on average more effective, if less ideal.
We all make different assessments of what we consider viable trade offs.
This is currently a few percentage points less obnoxious on average (to me)
than the other methods I've tried. I am willing to be spoiled though...

Ron N