Pitch Raising Techniques

Wed, 01 Dec 2004 22:26:26 +0100

Farrell wrote:

> If the piano was a half-step flat, after your first pass, it would be
> about 25 cents flat (the high treble would likely be more like 40
> cents flat). After the second pass, it would be at least 5 cents flat
> (again, with the high treble being maybe 10 to 20 cents flat). Then a
> third pass in the tenor? And leave it?
>
> Something isn't right here. If you never overpull, you will never get
> up to pitch! You'll get close, but only after quite a few passes -
> especially in the high treble. Why would you not want to pull 'em a
> bit sharp?

Actually, you can usually get a 100 cent flat piano at 440 pitch within
3-4 passes and never go above 442 to do it. I suppose you can call that
overpull, but thats not what folks normally mean when they use the term.

That said... even sticking to 440 as a limit.... a couple passes more
and it will stay there.  Theory is one thing, reality is another.  Take
the elections for example..... grin... no I guess I dont want to go
there after all.

Cheers
RicB