Pitch Raising Techniques

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 1 Dec 2004 15:46:50 -0500

If the piano was a half-step flat, after your first pass, it would be =
about 25 cents flat (the high treble would likely be more like 40 cents =
flat). After the second pass, it would be at least 5 cents flat (again, =
with the high treble being maybe 10 to 20 cents flat). Then a third pass =
in the tenor? And leave it?

Something isn't right here. If you never overpull, you will never get up =
to pitch! You'll get close, but only after quite a few passes - =
especially in the high treble. Why would you not want to pull 'em a bit =
sharp?

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: David Ilvedson=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, December 01, 2004 11:56 AM
  Subject: Re: Pitch Raising Techniques

  Speaking of archaic, I typically don't overpull at all.   1/2 step =
flat?   Up to pitch.  2nd pass up to pitch and 3rd pass in the tenor and =
leave where it lies.

  David I.

  From: Joe Garrett <joegarrett@earthlink.net>
  To: pianotech <pianotech@ptg.org>

  David Love said: "15% overpull in the bass, 25% in the midrange, 32% =
in the upper range.
  On small spinets, reduce the numbers by 5% each.   Do unisons as you =
go."

  =20
  David,
  I must take exception to this technique! Although, it will work most =
of the time on most Olde Uprights and Grands, there is always the =
exception. This technique is archaic, to say the least. There are better =
ways. The 32% in the upper treble will most likely get someone in a =
world of hurt! Most strings, in that area, are already at/above 50% of =
their breaking strength!!! You raise it another 32% and strings will =
break, IMO. I've done some studying on the subject and wrote an article =
for the PTJ, in Dec. 1999.
  Regards,
  Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
  Captain, Tool Police