Pitch Raising Techniques

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Wed, 01 Dec 2004 19:51:17 -0600

>Somebody told me that raising the bass after the treble was considerably
>bad for the treble area when pitch raising, because the bass strings
>applied on the bridge would make the soundboard "stress", and so detune
>the treble area.
>
>Have you ever heard of this?
>
>Quentin

Yea, I've been hearing of it for a long time. The fact is, you can take the
bass strings off entirely for bridge repairs or replacement, and it
typically barely affects the tuning of the rest of the piano. It's probably
all in how you hold your tongue, the phase of Mars, or your lubricant
choice for the casters. Avoid peanut oil for that last one. I'm told it
attracts elephants.

Ron N