Nose Bolts

Isaac Sadigursky irs.pianos@earthlink.net
Wed, 1 Dec 2004 22:18:55 -0800

Hi,Terry! Those slotted nose bolts are aeolian product and they were available from APSCO.I do have a few of them in my shop,If you desparately need them,give me a call.Did you try vise-grips large size and a rag in between to protect the bolt from scratches? Brookstone has ideal tool for nose bolts,large pliers with replcable nylon jaws,rebuilders should love them. Let me know,I can dig-out my brookstone catalog and give you the catalog number for that tool. Good luck! Isaac

----- Original Message -----
From: Farrell
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Sent: 12/1/04 4:23:31 PM
Subject: Nose Bolts

I'm working on a piano that has smallish nuts that snug the plate to the nose bolts. They are about 3/4-inch in diameter and have a screwdriver slot across the center. You cannot use a screwdriver though because the nosebolt extends up through the nut. Clearly, the ideal tool to tighten them would be a large version of the supply-house tool made for smaller versions of these types of nuts like you would find on the key hold-down rail (what is that thing called?). Does any such tool exist? Has anyone made such a tool? What do others use to drive these nuts?

As always, they have been partially mangled by others using poorly improvised tools. I will be refinishing them and the plate and wish to do things properly. Any ideas? Thanks.

Terry Farrell