Questions & WARNING--Gimme a break!

Dave Davis davistunes@yahoo.com
Wed, 1 Dec 2004 22:38:18 -0800 (PST)

Hi Alan,
After the CA dries, try tapping the pins with a Tuning Pin Punch and hammer. You don't need to hit them very hard, but it breaks the glue joint just enough to avoid the big jerk when it pops loose. I think it's originally Roger Jolly's idea, but it works well for me.

Dave Davis

Alan wrote:
Little background, then two questions and a WARNING that might save some of you a real headache, someday :

(snip) I turned all strings DOWN on the first pull in order to break (pop!) the CA grip on the pins, but maybe there was still a pretty good grip on pins of the broken strings because it seems like they were offering a lot of resistance just before the string gave.

Questions:

1. Anyone else have strings breaking after heavy, thoroughly dried CA? Any ideas to prevent trouble?

2. Does anyone duplicate steel-wound strings, or must I get copper subs? And who REALLY knows how to dup a steel string in copper that will reasonably work in the scale?

Warning:

A tilted upright piano can leak CA onto the nice lady's rug! It's only happened this once, but know that it can. In this case, it ran under the plate and found its way out the back of the piano. I will ALWAYS spread a drop cloth & newspaper under there in future!

As you may have guessed, this was not a terribly happy day for me in the piano biz.

Sighing in Salem,

Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO