Pitch Raising Techniques

Thu, 02 Dec 2004 08:56:11 +0100

I couldnt resist comparing the following replies to Quentins query, one
from Ron Nossaman, the other from my good buddie Joe Garrett. While
I'll  go along with Joe a short ways down the path he's on here, I have
to mostly agree with Nossamans comments most.  Whatever the affect
tuning one part of the piano has on another, its not significant enough
to worry about IMHO.  At least not for the kind of pitch raises we have
been talking about.  As with most things, a reasonably carefull approach
that fits your own style best will do the job as well as any other in
the end.  Sure, maybe some folks can cut 5 or 10 minutes from the total
job that others cannot. But I suspect this has less to do with the
specific routine involved, and more to do with a person who just plain
works fast.

Cheers
RicB

>> Somebody told me that raising the bass after the treble was
>> considerably bad for the treble area when pitch raising, because the
>> bass strings applied on the bridge would make the soundboard
>> "stress", and so detune the treble area.
>>
>> Have you ever heard of this?
>>
>> Quentin
>

> Yea, I've been hearing of it for a long time. The fact is, you can
> take the bass strings off entirely for bridge repairs or replacement,
> and it typically barely affects the tuning of the rest of the piano.
> It's probably all in how you hold your tongue, the phase of Mars, or
> your lubricant choice for the casters. Avoid peanut oil for that last
> one. I'm told it attracts elephants.
>
> Ron N

Quentin,
Yes, I've heard that. It is correct, in part. The Bass will effect the
treble, but does not manifest itself in direct relationship with the
soundboard as much as it directly affects the PLATE. This is why Dr.
Sanderson came up with the technique of tuning from the bottom up. He
detuned/tuned his wife's piano gazillion times and came to the
unmistakable conclusion that starting from the bottom and tuning all
unisons, as you go to the top, will give the most stable end result. I
concur!
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police