How to avoid breaking a string...

Thomas Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Thu, 02 Dec 2004 23:17:09 -0800

Doug,

First of all, repeat after me: "The string broke, I did not break the
string." Say this 220 times :-)

A piano which hasn't been tuned in a long time may develop a rust spot
at one or more of the upper bearing points. If you pull up on a string
which has such a "rust bond", the speaking length will not tighten up at
first and all of the added tension will be applied to the tuning pin
segment. This will cause the tension to increase very quickly in this
area and a string can easily break. That's why it's important to listen
for or watch for a change of pitch as soon as you know the tuning pin is
moving.

When I was learning to tune, my mentor cautioned me to paint Liquid
Wrench on the V-bar and pressure bar points of these neglected pianos
and to drop the pitch first before pulling it up (he would drop it by a
fourth or even a fifth). Since then, I've learned more subtle ways of
getting the string to move and "self-lubricate" and also have become
more sensitive to when I run up against a snag, if you will, which is
going to trigger a break. This is a sign that you might have better luck
if you got a run at it from a lower pitch (and, yes, maybe use a
lubricant, too).

There are other reasons for a string to "tear" and I don't think there
is any stopping that from happening, such as a nick in the wire, or work
hardening at the tuning pin or V-bar/agraffe. Sometimes we can be
surprised by a tuning pin which is suddenly very loose and, therefore,
prone to string overtightening, or string terminations at the tuning
pins which are out of order.

I didn't mention the one where the tuner puts a wrench on one pin and
listens to another. This is like when you're in the china shop: if you
break it, you've bought it.

In situations where I have the sense that this piano could break
strings, I do speak to the customer about the possibility of colateral
damage. I also tell them that I'll do everything in my power to prevent
that from happening. And if the budget can't take any broken string
charges, this may be a time to speak about tuning to a lower pitch.

Tom Cole