John Broadwood grand

Dave Doremus algiers_piano@bellsouth.net
Fri, 3 Dec 2004 07:20:34 -0600

A couple of thoughts. I would doubt the date unless you have looked
into it very carfeully, Broadwood serial numbers are confusing to say
the least. The main issue is the pinblock, with pins threaded into
the plate you may have to plug and redrill using 1/0 pins, larger can
make things too close to plate struts and each other. Hammers are
best recovered, the original moldings are very light and unless you
can duplicate that you will have weight problems in a single
escapement action. Shanks are cedar, make your own. Dampers are
threaded into the underlevers which are hinged with leather or
parchment, handle carefully and take good measurements before
disassembling. Butt leather can be critical to a good feel. Be wary
of hitch and bridge pins, I have had them break when pulled up to
pitch. 435 is open to debate. If you look at the Helmholtz pitch
appendix, Broadwood may have tuned as high as 450+. That said, it is
my preference to keep old instruments at lower pitch to reduce
stress, I like 430 just because it's a convevient early music choice,
some prefer 425 ar even 415 for ease of transposing, if necessary.
The bass can be nice, the treble often thin and with little sustain,
although if you hear a recital on one in a small room you will be
surprised how well it carries. They do not sound great at low pitch,
I did pull one to 455 a few years back and thought it improved the
sound a lot, but was too nervous to leave it there.....

----Dave

Dave Doremus, RPT
New Orleans