How to avoid breaking a string...

Mike Kurta mkurta@adelphia.net
Fri, 3 Dec 2004 15:23:34 -0500

    I have tuned many pianos several semitones flat by overpulling way =
above pitch in one pass without breakage.  We've all seen older uprights =
that were nothing but a ball of rust, and no breakage.  It also happens =
that fairly new instruments will break a string by barely moving the =
pin.
    Every piano I junk, I tighten each string to the breaking point just =
to see what it takes to make it fail.  Often the pin rotates 1/2 turn =
before the string lets go.  On other occasions (sometimes within the =
same piano) just touching the string will make it snap.=20
    My conclusion is that there is no rhyme or reason and no predicting =
string breakage.  I also believe there is no cure-all method to avoid =
string breakage.  I've tried letting down tension first, lubrication of =
various types, hammer technique, etc, and they still may let go.  =
Fortunately, it doesn't happen that often, and if in doubt, I mention to =
the customer that "occasionally strings break, but I carry spares and =
they are easy to replace."  This opens the possibility to the customer, =
but minimizes the seriousness. =20
    Mike Kurta
    Auburn, NY