Perfect pitch and aging (was perfect pitch discussion

V T pianovt@yahoo.com
Fri, 3 Dec 2004 16:06:46 -0800 (PST)

Hello Brass Contingent,

I too played trumpet for some time, and I am aware of
an effect that helps pitch recognition.  The trumpet
presents a certain impedance to the player's lips at
each of its resonant modes.  That impedance changes
from note to note and there is a characteristic
feeling of resistance for all notes.  Some notes
"slot" easily, others have to be pushed.  Most
trumpets feel like a piano with very uneven
touchweights.  Even if you have no sense of pitch,
after a while you know what note you are playing by
how the horn responds at the attack.

Vladan

Hi Jean,

Just to answer your questions:

I'm not sure I'd call it a translation, but maybe
something like that.=20=

I had to learn the french horn well enough to play in
a concert once, I=20=

only spent a few weeks on it. It was a real pain to
read the music=20
since the horn is in F - i.e. reading a D but hearing
a G, but using=20
the same fingerings from a trumpet in bflat! Though,
toward the end of=20=

playing it, I felt the very beginnings of starting to
feel the horn's C=20=

(an F) as a C.