mystery center pinning

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Fri, 03 Dec 2004 23:12:59 -0600

>I had to repin all the Steinway shanks I recently installed.  When they
>came, they were the best examples of perpetual motion machines I had ever
>seen.  Well, golly, almost all of them have loosened up again!--not to
>their original state, but much looser than I find acceptable. (The piano
>got used a couple of times while work was in progress.)   Dang, I've never
>had this happen before---am I in the twilight zone?  I couldn't believe my
>eyes.  Would shrinking the cloth help before I pin....again?   Grrrr.

Ah yes, the Steinway spec de jour for pinning. No worries. If you can't
seem to reconcile the current official pinning (infinite) swing test
parameter with what you find in the piano, against what you actually need
to make the action function, it's purely your pathological inability to
guess the benefit
of
the current standard. Next week will surely be better.

Ron N