Noisy Action troubleshooting

Paul McCloud pmc033@earthlink.net
Sun, 5 Dec 2004 08:03:35 -0800

Hi, Brad.  Remember me?  I was in Chicago for the Nordiska seminar a few months back.
Anyway, a few thoughts... Howz the knuckles?  Little hard, maybe?  The jack cushion felt is also part of the problem, but what to do about it?  I've replaced them on a Bergmann (Y.C) with upright jack butt felt, but it remains to be seen how much they crush over time (and lose regulation).  Nordiskas seem to be noisy overall, so I'm not surprised that your dealer is complaining.  Good luck.

Paul McCloud
San Diego

----- Original Message -----
From: staff
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Sent: 12/05/2004 12:25:52 AM
Subject: Noisy Action troubleshooting

Hi All,
This week I will be diagnosing a new, very noisy, Nordiska grand action for a concerned dealer.
Nordiska is Chinese manufactured as you probably know.
Excessive action noise, present thru whole action, but worse on some keys/sections
Key bushings are very loose, both balance and front rails.
Seems they've used a very thin bushing cloth that doesn't match the combination of skinny balance rail pin and key mortise.
The dealer has seen some improvement thru repinning wippen flanges in previous actions.
On this particular action, seems like flopping keys is the main culprit.
We're going to regulate, rebush  and glue size balance rail holes on a few keys to hear results.
Any thoughts?
I'm also suspicious of:
Rep lever adj screw felt; creating noise when rep lever cycles and returns to rest quickly, sort of a click sound
Rep lever buckskin contacting bottom of drop screw; another possible click
Hammer rest cushion material used is really keybed felt, too hard/dense IMO; hammers bouncing on this material & rail system produce an audible "thump tone".
Also found a few loose backchecks.

Best regards,

Brad Smith, RPT
Smith Piano Services
483 Donald Street
Bedford, NH 03110
800-964-TUNE (8863)
603-625-4696
brad@smithpiano.com
www.smithpiano.com
NEW!! 24/7 Online Appointment Scheduling