Hole in Soundboard for Damp Chaser cord

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Sun, 05 Dec 2004 12:52:15 -0600

>Ron N said: "Not for any good reason I know of. Why?
>
>Ron,
>Obviously you haven't run into one that had a Buzz! Or, some hack had
>"chewed" a hole in the S.B.! Personally, I just don't like the idea of
>putting another hole in a S.B. To me, it's just asking for trouble. Oh,
>and then there's the one that was moved without unplugging it
>first..ripped/split up the sound nicely. Any other questions?<G>
>Joe Garrett, R.P.T.

Joe,
Just an observation or two. Drilling a hole in the soundboard isn't the
problem, though doing it indiscriminately, crudely, and/or stupidly might
be. Having seen poorly hung hammers and badly notched bridges doesn't mean
we shouldn't hang hammers and notch bridges. It just means we should at
least try to have some idea of, and reason for what we're doing. To you,
making a hole in a soundboard is asking for trouble, and that's fine, but
that doesn't make it a no-no. I've seen and perpetrated a lot of holes in
soundboards that were quite acceptable looking (though not always), did no
discernable functional damage to the board, and caused no problems
whatsoever for many many years. I've only seen a couple of problem
instances, both due to poor planning and execution. For folks that move
pianos without unplugging them, a power cord that's properly secured to the
back of the piano will rip the wall outlet out before it damages the board.

At least that's my opinion.

Ron N