Hole in Soundboard for Damp Chaser cord

Mon, 06 Dec 2004 08:56:17 +0100

I believe that Ron Nossaman was simply making the point that drilling a
hole through the soundboard in itself has no detrimental effects to the
soundboards function or livespan. And, if done judiciously as he also
pointed out, he is most certainly correct. The most obvious example is
the nosebolt hole, placed in what might easily be considered one of the
more vunerable areas of the soundboard.

That said, the argumentations and reasonings presented by the majority
of techs here go to underline one of the main reasons I have for
choosing not to drill through the soundboard.  Other techs will most
certainly comment negatively to your customers about such a hole, and
you are going to have to deal with that and all the headaches that
potentially can accompany.

So, not being at all a neccessarry solution, I route the tubes and
cables a different way. I dont particularilly like the look of a cord
either, but  I find its a good idea to have it rather visable as just
another reminder to owners that the DC unit is there and needs to be
taken regard to.

An example of this is a comparison between my own installations and that
of my main competitor here. He runs his cables out the bottom board,
very very neat and very hidden. But at schools and institutions he has
experienced on several occasions that cords have been destroyed exactly
because some cleaning person, student, or other indivdual  had moved the
instrument without insuring the cables safety.  I have not had such a
call yet from any of my customers.  Making the cable obviously visable
can be done neatly enough, and I think its probably a good idea as well.

Cheers
RicB