Rebushing centers

Robin Hufford hufford1@airmail.net
Mon, 06 Dec 2004 14:25:41 -0600

Hello Barbara,
     The piano is still in my shop and I observe no problems with the
pining,  treated as described, that can be attributed to the CA use.  It
was done about six or so months ago.   This was not a truly organized
study of cause and effect, but, rather a quick decision to try to
overcome a frustrating problem chronically recurring which was the
persistent loosening of the pining.
     If you were to use a mixture so insufficiently thin as to cement
the bushing together and to the wood  also, perhaps there would be some
difficulty removing the bushing.  Personally, I doubt this as all one
would have to do is use the debonder or acetone.  The great advantage,
to me, of using this, if it has a lasting permanent effect  absent
problems, which I think it does, is that one can apply the mixture, as I
said in the post, either with the pin in place or removed and still,
within a few minutes or so reinstall the shank on the rail, play it and
hear an immediate difference, attributable mostly to lessened wobble.
Months later, the swing test of pining is within an acceptable range on
those treated.
     I also tried, on a few, where the pin had been removed, the use of
the accelerator and, also, the use of a water-based Teflon spray as an
accelerator.   I can't speak to the differential results of this just
yet.   I will be curious to hear of the results you obtain, should you
try it.
     Also, although I have in a number of postings here indicated my
opinion of the essential uselessness of hammers needing artificial
hardeners, a controversial enough opinion but one, nevertheless honestly
expressed, I have, on a very few occasions used a similar mixture of
thinned CA to harden the last couple of hammers  in the treble and a few
elsewhere at times, by injecting the mixture directly under the crown
just above the tip of the molding in the high treble and placing  it in
a similar location but avoiding wetting the underfelt elsewhere.  One
then acquires the characteristic hardened sound which can then by
needling be blended in.   This, then, led me to try it with pining
problems.
Regards, Robin Hufford