1865 Style 2 S&S

Phil Bondi phil@philbondi.com
Wed, 08 Dec 2004 06:49:01 -0500

Terry wrote:

> Is that to imply that a MAJOR remanufacture job differs significantly
> from a minor remanufacture job?

It needs it all and then some, I think..........

> I believe folks are paying upwards of $15K (or more?) for a
> train-wrecked S&S D that would need a full remanufacture job. Why
> would this piano be so different, apparently based only on the amount
> of anticipated work it might need?

I think it's different because of the age/plate/tension factor. in 1865,
tensions weren't what they are today. My thinking is the plate would
have to be reinforced to support today's tensions. I also service a 9'
Style2, and the plate in that piano was re manufactured because it was
cracked.

All things being equal, I think this is the difference. I may be wrong,
and will listen to others more knowlegable if I am.

Phil Bondi(Fl)