1865 Style 2 S&S

Delwin D Fandrich fandrich@pianobuilders.com
Wed, 8 Dec 2004 09:25:05 -0800

  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Erwinspiano@aol.com
  Sent: December 08, 2004 8:35 AM
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Subject: Re: 1865 Style 2 S&S

       SO I calculated the whole scale & tensions at 440 & they were really
low With the highest notes close to 100 lb. tension & not speaking at all.
It has very short string lengths up there as well & I would suggest moving
the top end of the bridge back as far as the plate will allow to increase
string length to as close to 50 mm on a-85 as possible.
      In a do over  I'd rescale it for A-440
      That being said at A -458 the piano sound amazingly good & easy to
hear why Stwy so quickly gained its tonal reputuaion but I'm sure A-458
would be disconcerting to any serious players sense of pitch & a singers
vocal range. Arrghh.
     Dale

That is some shorter than the one we did a while back. Originally A-85 was
around 54 mm. We made a new SLog bridge and set A-85 to 62 mm. With #13 wire
the tension was around 163 lbs. This dropped slightly toward the tenor where
we held tensions to the 150 to 155 lb. range. With a transition bridge at
the low tenor and a matching bass scale the piano sounded exceptionally
nice. (I have no idea how it sounded originally.)

We also scaled the soundboard and ribset to match the scale.

And, since the original action was long gone by the time the piano showed up
in our shop we fit a new Renner stack. It was really a very nice pianoforte.
To my ear a nice improvement over the bulk of the fortes on the market
today.

I agree, though, there is probably not a huge market for instruments of this
type today and more's the pity.

Del