1865 Style 2 S&S

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Wed, 8 Dec 2004 11:34:58 EST

Hi
   15K Wholesale for a D is one thing but resale on  this old stwy item & a D
could be miles apart. This stwy age &  relegates itself to antique pianos
that many musicians will pass on. It's also  85 notes a course Yes they are fun
I've done one as you describe & it  came out well. Plus did I say beautiful.

  I don't believe you can say with accuracy the plates  aren't built for
modern tensions. The 1872 I did was scaled for A-458 yes I'm  sure. Don't be
alarmed for at that pitch the tensions were in the 150 to 160 lb.  per string range
which keep in mind is similar to A-440 tensions. There were  great standard
pitch wars thru that time (ask Jack Greenfield) All the old ones  I tuned in
the past were always dismal sounding at 440 & I always wondered  why till this
experience.

  In my case I didn't discover the pitch problem  till the piano was strung
with the original scale. Shame on me but the  piano did not sound well at 440.
SO I calculated the whole  scale & tensions at 440 & they were really  low
With the highest notes close to 100 lb. tension & not  speaking at all. It has
very short string lengths up there as well & I would  suggest moving the top end
of the bridge back as far as the plate will allow to  increase string length
to as close to 50 mm on a-85 as  possible.
    In a do over  I'd rescale it for  A-440
  That being said at A -458 the piano sound amazingly  good & easy to hear
why Stwy so quickly gained its tonal reputuaion but I'm  sure A-458 would be
disconcerting to any serious players sense of pitch  & a singers vocal range.
Arrghh.
   Dale

Terry wrote:

> Is that to imply that a MAJOR remanufacture job  differs significantly
> from a minor remanufacture job?

It needs  it all and then some, I think..........

> I believe  folks are paying upwards of $15K (or more?) for a
> train-wrecked S&S  D that would need a full remanufacture job. Why
> would this piano be so  different, apparently based only on the amount
> of anticipated work it  might need?

I think it's different because of the age/plate/tension  factor. in 1865,
tensions weren't what they are today. My thinking is the  plate would
have to be reinforced to support today's tensions. I also  service a 9'
Style2, and the plate in that piano was re manufactured because  it was
cracked.

All things being equal, I think this is the  difference. I may be wrong,
and will listen to others more knowlegable if I  am.

Phil Bondi(Fl)