1865 Style 2 S&S

Stéphane Collin collin.s@skynet.be
Wed, 8 Dec 2004 18:34:04 +0100

I must second you in this, Ric.

But when you say "On the other hand, some might think that what it looses in
value as a piano, it gains in value as an antique.... ", I definately
couldn't help saying that an antique instrument, well restored, can be a
good piano (I mean a good medium for an artist to output his poetry).
I hear you all thinking "oh my ! here he comes again !"
Just wanted to remind (sure, everyone knows that) that all the nice and
durable music for piano written before the late Franz Liszt was written on
such instruments here called antiques.  I just can't believe that such a
great piano genius (I mean someone who proved to understand soo deeply how
to make a good vibration out of it) as Chopin was, would have been satisfied
with a poor instrument (or even could have developped his exceptional
ability without it).  And when I hear a good 1840 Pleyel nicely and
respectfully restored, I get confirmation that Chopin was not dumb.
No, power of sound, speed of repetition, evenness of tone, length of
sustain, etc. are not the only criteria for judging the quality of an
instrument (to me at least, but who am I ?).  They are just the qualities of
the standard instrument that we know.
Bloody standardization !  Never will I exchange a well maturated and
appropriatedly selected bordeaux wine for a coke.

When I hear about redesigning a 1865 Steinway, I get the same feeling as if
some promoter would upgrade a cathedral into a disco, replacing the stained
glass by double glazing (for heating efficiency purposes).  Still impossible
in my country.  For how long ?

Stéphane Collin.