Pulling Plates

Terry terry@farrellpiano.com
Wed, 8 Dec 2004 17:05:47 -0500

I've been wrapping a thick, soft, nylon strap around struts, capo, etc. =
for lifting. Haven't had it disturb new paint (knock on maple rim).

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Greg Newell=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 2004 4:55 PM
  Subject: Re: Pulling Plates

  List,
          Yesterday I encountered a 1960's or so Baldwin "D" which had =
one of it's plate struts looking rather thin. It seemed to me to be a =
potential weak spot. I haven't had the opportunity yet to pull a plate =
from an instrument that large but this particular one just might =
experience my ministrations sometime in the future. Are there any =
special things to consider when pulling plates this large? So far a =
"cherry picker" has worked just fine on pianos under 6'. As the pianos =
go larger the plate gets a bit harder to balance and support properly. I =
have an air hoist motor that needs rebuilding and some box steel that I =
could use to make a frame for it. That should cover the lifting part of =
the job but what about the support? Do you simply double up on the =
straps or other support means?
          BTW, some time ago I promised a report on my experience with =
the Buldoc grand plate puller. Since my shop isn't all that busy (too =
many tunings) I waited until I had the chance to use it a few times. My =
advice is don't waste your money. The top bar is weak and bends rather =
easily which could allow the plate to slide if it became unbalanced. =
That could be disastrous. While I've only pulled a few plates to date I =
found that it was difficult to find the proper location of the plate to =
attach it to. I could get close and then the directions are to tap it =
around to get to the balance point but it always seems to have been too =
close to the bolts on either end. Tapping it, in one case, left some =
marks on the freshly painted plate which did not make my day either. I =
believe that I will continue to use it until something about it just =
irritates me beyond reason but I wish it worked better than it does.=20
          Has anyone ever tried putting some kind of bar stock through =
the plate holes and then attaching a strap to that? When using the =
straps I don't really like the fact that the strap hook comes in contact =
with the painted surface. Actually I'd rather that the strap material =
didn't either. Sure would love to see some pics on how others do this. =
Each one I pull leaves me scratching my head trying to noodle out a =
better way. Help me out folks my hairs getting thin enough as it is!!
  =20
  Best,
  Greg Newell
  =20