Pulling Plates

John Musselwhite john@musselwhite.com
Wed, 08 Dec 2004 23:15:36 -0700

At 11:19 PM 12/08/04 -0500, Chuck wrote:

>I've been wrapping a thick, soft, nylon strap around struts, capo, etc.
>for lifting.
>

>Where you find this kind of strap Terry? How thick, how wide?

One suggestion might be used auto seat belts since you can probably get
them for free. I'd still pad them around the plate though. If you don't
trust the quick release you could always sew D-rings or something into them.

As for something other than a rafter or engine hoist to hang your seat
belts (and chain fall) from to lift out the plate, has anyone ever tried
using a modified child's outdoor swing set?  You could probably pick up a
well-built old one for next-to-nothing and if you cleaned it up, added some
decent bolts and cut the cross-tube down to the width of a piano it should
be plenty strong enough for a plate. If you needed to you could even sister
a couple of 2x4s to reinforce the crossbar and add blocks under the legs if
it isn't high enough.

                 John

John Musselwhite, RPT    -     Calgary, Alberta Canada
http://www.musselwhite.com  http://canadianpianopage.com/calgary
Pianotech IRC chats Tuesday and Thursday nights and Sunday Mornings
http://www.bigfoot.com/~kmvander/ircpiano.html