Pulling Plates

Terry terry@farrellpiano.com
Thu, 9 Dec 2004 06:25:02 -0500

You know, now that you mention it, after I had the plate refinished, I would
first wrap an old (clean) rag around the strut first, and then wrap the
nylon strap around that. Oops, scrap the nylon thing - I see now they are
polyester (I'm looking at one). They are 1-inch wide and 4-feet long. They
have a vertical capacity of 1,600 lbs. They have big loops at each end. I
purchased them at Wholesale Tool  http://www.wttool.com/ .

Originally, I used three of these straps only and hooked them into my
ceiling-mounted chain-fall. I would have to manually try to adjust their
positions to get an even lift - very less than optimal. After picking up
some ideas from this list, I am now using two adjustable straps between the
polyester strap on the plate and the hook of the chain-fall (I use the
adjustable thing on the two front straps and simply run the rear strap
full-length directly from the plate to the chain-fall hook - no adjustment).
The adjustable straps I am using are rather light-duty (I seem to recall a
breaking strength of around 400 lbs. - arguably somewhat marginal strength)
and do not have a ratchet, but rather a simply thumb-controlled
hold-clamp-apparatus (it's actually a thingee) - it has never slipped (yeah,
I know what you are thinking - me too!). Very quick to adjust and easily get
a nice even lift. When I see something similar, but with higher breaking
strength, in a tool store, I will pick those up and switch to something with
a greater weight rating.

If anyone wishes for a picture, I would be happy to take one and send it
your way. I've got a plate hanging in mid-air as we speak!

Terry Farrell

www.farrellpiano.com